On Friday, July 22, Dementia Friends Champion Damian Hinds, MP, facilitated two Dementia Friends Information Sessions at EHDC’s council offices at Penns Place, Petersfield.
A keen supporter of the initiative, Damian explained how dementia can affect the brain and the person, and the difficulty of identifying someone living with it.
The aim of the sessions was to increase understanding of dementia, provide useful tips on how to help someone living with the condition, and suggest how we can help if required.
There were five key messages from the day’s sessions:
1. Dementia is not a natural part of ageing
2. Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain
3. It is not just about losing your memory
4. It’s possible to live well with it
5. There is more to the person than the dementia.
To find more information about Dementia Friends, dementia, and to sign up to an Information Session near you, please follow the link below: